Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Warm Nights and Starry Skies

I think I speak for us all when I say I cannot wait until summer.
The one thing that I have been obsessed with recently, however, is star-gazing. Now, I think we all agree that the best time to do this is on warm, clear, nights.
It all started this year, on a whim actually, and I decided to climb out of my window and onto the roof. It was a calm, warm, and clear night. I took a blanket out with me, a few lanterns, and a can of Dr. Pepper. I expected that I would need the lanterns to enable me to see, but what I did not consider, was the moon. It wasn't even full (First quarter, maybe), but it shined like nothing else. Once my eyes fully adjusted, there wasn't anything I couldn't see. It amazed me because we all live in a world where we fear the dark and use artificial light to chase it away, that we all have forgotten just how bright the moon can really shine.
I lay there, on my blanket, and I stared up into the sky.
I saw the stars.
I saw them shine and gleam, their old light reaching us from distances far greater than we can imagine. The more I stared, the more they appeared. I was in awe. I found the Big Dipper and marveled as his brightness and shape. He then pointed me to his lesser self and I couldn't help but be amazed. What are the chances of two constellations looking almost exactly the same? But despite all of that, here they were.
The Big Dipper and the Little Dipper.
Twins except for their size.
Truly amazing and I loved every moment of it.
I stayed out there for a while, soaking in the soothing scent of night and basking in the moons’ rays.
But like everything else, it had to end.
I picked up and went inside with a heavy heart.
However, I will never forget that experience.
I urge all of you to go out this summer and just gaze at the beautiful stars.
It is a beautiful thing that all humans should experience.
I want you to get out of your city and look at the stars.
I want you all to relax and see the beauty.


~Blog Out~

No comments:

Post a Comment