Thursday, May 8, 2014

Why Are We Together, but Totally Isolated?

Sometimes, when I am in a room with my peers, I look around and drink in what’s happening.
Nothing.
All I really see is a bunch of teenagers sitting slumped in chairs staring at white, blank screens. Occasionally scrolling up or down, sometimes a rare and quick smile flashes across their face.
And as I am sitting here, in this room full of people, I realize that I am completely alone. I may be in the company of twenty or so people, but they’re not really there. They are all in their digitalized world, communicating with each other without making contact. You attempt to make conversation with a person, but they never look up at you from their device, and if they do, it is only for a brief period of three seconds or less.
It is this action that can offend people. Is that person who is desperately trying to have a conversation with you not important enough to you? Do you really favor your electronic things to a human that wants to make a connection with you? How can you be so inconsiderate to not even see this happening?
Just recently, I asked a friend to hang out with me. We were at my house watching movies, discussing them, and having a pretty good time. However, the one thing that bothered me the most was how often they picked up their iPod or phone and either texted or checked some sort of social media. Really, it didn't bother me  that much, but I couldn't help but think, “I asked you to hang out and you agreed, shouldn't it just be us two instead of all of your social media and texting buddies?”
Because usually when I ask to hang out with someone, I want it to be just us two.
No distractions.
No other humans (unless they’re invited)
Just us, making human conversation and forming a real bond.
However, I can see that I am the minority when it comes to my thinking.
And I admit that whenever I myself am in an awkward situation, I get on my IPod to distract myself.
Hell, I am even blogging right now on a computer when I could be talking to the person sitting next to me.
But next time when you walk into a room, look around at the people on their phones, IPods, IPads, etc., and truly realize the extent of your aloneness.
Feel the absence of those humans’ company.
Let it soak in,
And let it change you for the better.


~Blog Out~

No comments:

Post a Comment